Artic Checkers!

As you can tell, I frequent the nearby dollar stores often for fun finds for my students.  Well, on my last trip, I grabbed a Checkers set.  Since I only bought one, I had to think of a fun idea that could be used with numerous students/groups.  I decided to use it for articulation targets. 

 I have many students on my caseload working on the /th/.  I took my handy dandy circle label stickers and placed it on each square.  I wrote a /th/ word in all positions on each.  That was it!  Now I have another game for my artic students! 

 When they land on a square, they must say the word.  If they captured their component's checker, they must say the word it was on 5x!  When they landed to get "kinged" they had to use the word in a sentence.  You can add your own rules as you please, since you are running the show! 

You can use this idea with working on categories or other vocabulary concepts as well!  Teaching the students how to play checkers can address following directions.  The actual playing of the game is great for students working on turn taking and other pragmatic skills.

Have you used this in speech?  Any other ideas to share?!