First Week Activities

I have been meaning to post some ideas for the first week and got distracted by finishing my last week of working summer school!  I know many are starting work SOON so I will post some quick ideas and a freebie!
I always like to do ice breakers on the first day.  Some common ones I use:
  • Say your name and give me an adjective using the first letter (Jolly Janice)
  • 2 truths and a lie: Students have to say 3 facts about themselves and one should be false.  The rest of the group has to guess which it is!  They love that they can lie!
  • M&M fun facts:  I take a bowl of M&Ms and pass it around the table.  I tell them to take 4!  Once everyone has I write on the board a question for each color M&M.  They must answer it depending on which colors they have in their hands.  They get so mad when they took 4 of one color!
Then we review class rules and expectations:
  • Why do we come to speech?
  • How should we walk into the classroom?
  • How should we treat each other and the therapy materials?
  • For the older students, what are our goals for the school year?
Then we do some organizational activities:
  • Decorate folders which I keep class work in
  • Make sure personal information I have is correct: parent's names, telephone number, etc.
  • For my students that can walk down to speech on their own, we decorate passes.  They fill it out with their speech times to help them remember, they glue them onto construction paper and then I laminate them after school.  I put them into the teacher's mailboxes so the students have them for their next speech sessions.  It also works as a reminder to the teachers.
I have uploaded a copy of the passes I plan to use this year!  I put 2 on a page to save paper!  Hopefully you can use it as you get ready to go back to school!

Grab your copy of this pass here!  I hope this helps!  Good luck!!